Springtime Nettle Pesto!
These deep green stinging nettles are deeply nutritive and in abundance right now. Harvest them (using gloves!) while you can and experiment in the kitchen. I love to use nettles for pesto. I put it on steamed veggies, toast, raw vegetables, eggs or over pasta!
Here's an easy recipe to try. I hope you enjoy it.
Recipe: Nettle Pesto
- Prep time: 10 min
- Total time: 10 min
- Serves: 2 cups
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3/4 C pine nuts ( I often use almonds or walnuts)
- 1/4 C olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- 3/4 C parmesan or asiago cheese, shredded (for a vegan version I add nutritional yeast)
- Put a pot of water on and when its boiling dump the fresh nettles in for just one minute.
- Strain well and get as much water out as possible. Add nettles to blender or food processor.
- Add garlic, pine nuts, olive oil, sea salt, lemon juice and cheese if you're using it.
- Pulse until smooth and creamy and salt to taste. Enjoy!